What is Radon?

 What is Radon?

What is RadonRadon is naturally occurring. Radon is a chemically inert gas you can not see it or smell it. Radon comes from the radioactive decay of Uranium 238 and Radium 226 in the earths soil. This Radon gas than permeates up and collects in the structure. Tight homes do not cause radon. The high radon levels correlate mainly with the amount of uranium and radium in the soil directly below your home. The only way to check for it is to have your home or building tested. Certified Radon Mitigation of Richmond, Indiana uses a sun nuclear device model#1028. In real estate transactions the rule is to place the testing device in the lowest (able to live in) area of the home for 48 hours. This is for when the new home owner chooses to finish and use the space for living. This is called a “short term test”. A Radon test is best when placed at a normal breathing level in areas where you spend the most of your time. This would give you the most accurate results of your personal direct health risks. This short-term test is recommended when there is not a  real estate transaction. The home should be active and lived in as usual, but must have doors and windows closed 12 hours before and during active testing.


Health Effects of Radon

The Surgeon General states:

“Indoor radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States and breathing it over prolonged periods can present a significant health risk to families all over the country. It’s important to know that this threat is completely preventable. Radon levels are found detected with a simple test and fixed through well-established venting techniques.”

Exposure to radon gas increases your risk of developing lung cancer. The EPA estimates that 21,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the United States are due to radon exposure, which makes it the second leading cause of lung cancer following smoking.

Radon and lung Cancer

Radon gas and its decay products in the air are inhaled into the lungs where they break down further and emit alpha particles. Alpha particles release a small burst of energy, which is absorbed by nearby lung tissue. This results in lung cell damage